Monday, February 9, 2015

Rest & Lots of Fluids ??!!

As I write this, I have an incredible headache, which started when I woke up with a sore neck this morning.  I heated the naughty neck muscle and it helped, but it was followed by a headache, which brings me to the topic of this post.
 
When you're chronically ill, your body forces you to make adjustments in your life.  For alot of us, it is resting far more that we want or prefer.  For example, I have been resting even more this last week as I have been feeling a bug trying to attack me and I have been resting so that it doesn't take full hold and snowball into a whole other menu of issues, which could include not getting my infusion and flaring even more.  We cross our fingers and hope that resting will pay off, but there is a side affect (we never seem to escape those), which is what it does to us mentally.
 
I'm being good, I'm resting, theoretically good, no?  Meanwhile, my life is not happening, my house isn't getting cleaned, the recipe I wanted to try, isn't getting made, my taxes aren't getting done, I'm not socializing, I'm not exercising or getting out in some fresh air.... the toll is high. 
 
 We have to be time management experts!  We break up our chores into smaller steps, it could take me days to clean my bathroom, the whole day to do dishes and sort the kitchen because I'm doing a little bit each time I get out of my bed to go to the bathroom, or get something to drink..  We break down our tasks and frequently overdo it because we know that at some point we will be forced to stop and at least, if some of our "stuff" is done, it's not so psychologically difficult to stop.  Alot of the time, things simply DON'T get done.
 
I try not to be too hard on myself, I've learned it doesn't accomplish anything, but it doesn't mean that it's not crappy and that we don't get sick and tired of being sick and tired and feeling that it can seem very futile, because when you do good things, there should be some sort of payoff or reward .... I know there are no guarantees in life, but futility is not a state I want to live in.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment