Thursday, April 10, 2014

Stress? What Stress?

Everyone has stress, it's a fact and it's relative.....

For the sake of this post I wanted to share how it pertains to those of us with chronic illnesses. 

I don't even know where to start ... maybe now, in my present day, when after two and a bit years since my diagnosis, my stress level is lessened.  The stress I have had has felt heavy and constricting and I'm sure has added to my sleep issues.  That being said I haven't yet connected my stress level to my disease activity, it probably has, but I haven't connected the dots to anything glaring.  I know alot of people can ....

It is such a vicious cycle with being sick = stress, treatment options and paying for them = stress, job and work issues from being sick = stress, adding to financial struggles = stress, family issues or illnesses = stress. 

I am conscious of not offering advice to others in our community on dealing with their stress, I don't feel equipped and I don't want any miscommunication or misunderstanding, so I generally steer clear of offering advice for dealing with it.  What I do try to do, is just be there for venting and support......

Stress runs like a cyclone or tornado through your life, which then switches back onto our health issues .... and there's always lots of information out there on how to deal with it, however, most of it pertains to 'well' people, and doesn't ring true for us.  It's feels like we can easily get overwhelmed, maybe we're vocal about it, maybe we're not, but it is no less STRESSFUL! 

In my reality the things that have given me only very recent relief from my stresses have been obtaining more work, which enables me to pay my bills and not go into more debt, which has been a heinous side affect of my diagnosis.  My hope is for more good to come and to dig out of the financial issues that my disease has caused .... currently, my disease is mostly managed, some days are better/worse than others, the thing I am enjoying the most and have almost a palatable appreciation for is - not worrying.  I am finding myself taking advantage of not worrying about what will happen in the near or far future, but living in this moment (hah! So cliche), the only way to describe it is NICE.  It feels odd, but I appreciate it and it feels like I'm wrapped in a cozy blanket .... it feels like I can breathe ....

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete